Friday, December 31, 2010

Take this sinking boat and point it home, we still got time


It's the oldest plot twist in the book.
The point where you realised that the person you've been hurting is actually the person you love the most.
Usually, the realisation hits you when the subject matter is about to walk out of your life. Or to be more dramatic, is dying.
Allow me to paint the picture for you.
A loves B but decided to let go of B due to petty reasons A doesn't even understand of but when he or she realises that he or she might lose B forever...well you know the rest of the story.
Or
A loves B but B doesn't love A and so chucks him or her out of his or her life but when A is on his or her deathbed, B realised that he or she actually loves A (or the other way around)...and the rest is history (pun intended).

Confused?
Yeah me too.

Most stories use this formula. You can bet your million dollar (if you can afford it, if not then one buck would suffice) that by season 3 of your favourite TV series, this plot would have at least been used twice, if not more. 
It's so common to the point of being a cliche and boringly predictable.
Yet the writers use it over and over again.
Why?
Well, apart from being a foolproof, safe and most favourited (not to mention most "dramatic") plot, it is because of the way it identifies with real life.
It happens in real life.
Drama happens in real life.

Taking things for granted, taking people for granted, taking love for granted, taking life for granted; it's the terrible mistake people make on a daily basis.
The lucky ones, they realise it before it's too late.
The not so lucky ones, pay for their mistake (or dare I say mistakes). Or worse, they let other people pay for their mistakes.

But looking at life from the glass half full perspective, nothing in life is ever too late.
Except for death.

Being someone who had a few brushes with death, I know a thing or two about how does it feel to realise something before it's too late.
It's not a secret that I was down with cancer a few years ago. I made a vow that I will try to live myself to the fullest and not taking things for granted, if I made it out alive.
I did. Praise to Allah.
But the scare of having to go through it again never left. The scare of dying never left.
That is why I made it a point to try to convey what I feel to the people that matters.
I don't care if it's going to cost me something, what matters is the people I care about knows that I love them.
At least, if I die, I'll die knowing that they know it.
And if, God forbid, they leave me, at least I did everything I could to let them know that I love them.
I try.
Everyday, I try.

Now, my question is,
Can you say the same for yourself?

But why does it have to wait to the point of losing that someone?

I love you. I hope you know that.



0 person(s) has been nadia-ed! jyeah!: